What Can The Program TAPEMNGL Do
This section is meant to give a brief summary of the major capabilities of the tape utility TAPEMNGL. This is in no way a complete listing of the capabilities of this program.
- Provide an index to all files on a standard label tape.
- Show shortest and longest block and block counts for no label tapes.
- Show in detail tape structure (block by block breakdown).
- Provide easy method for examining tape data.
- Provide directory listing for unloaded PDS's (this includes PDS's unloaded with IEBCOPY, IEHMOVE, PANVALET and the Connecticut Bank and Trust compression routine (used on SHARE TAPES).
- Provide a listing of documents on an ATS rollout or archive tape.
- Provide a listing of courses on a COURSEWRITER or PHOENIX tape.
- Provide a listing of datasets containded on a CMS dump file. This listing is the same as you would get with a filel command under CMS.
- Provide a listing of PTF's contained on a PTF or PUT TAPE with FMID's.
- Provide a listing of datasets containded in an FDR full pack or DSF dump file. This listing shows the datasets format and space usage.
- Provide a listing of datasets containded in an DF/DSS full pack dump and a listing of possible dataset names in a DF/DSS dataset dump. This listing (as with the FDR) shows dataset format and space usage.
- Provide information about files created by Honeywell systems.
- Provide information about cylinders and tracks dump by VM dump facility.
- Provide information about files unloaded with the IEHMOVE program.
- Allow for the listing of members (all members or selected members) of an IEBCOPY unloaded PDS or to convert unloaded IEBCOPY source into IEBUPDTE form so that restores can be done.
- Provide an easy means to copy and/or rearrange tape files on either standard label or no label tapes, and to provide an easy means of copying and/or rearrange tape files from a standard to a no label or from no label to standard label tape.
- Allow for copying of all readable data blocks from a tape which has been mangled by a tape drive or which has become unreadable in spots (due to age or wear).
- Allow for copying of and correcting a standard label VBS data file (deleting partial records).
- Provide an easy means to copy all or selected files directly to disk.
- Allow for "easy" recovery of data from a bashed tape.
- Allow for the merging of several one file tapes into a single multi-file tape, and to allow for combining of several multi-file tapes a single multi-file tape.
- Allow for the making of several copies of a tape where all the output tapes are to have the same id.
- Copy ASCII tapes to EBCDIC tapes.
- Copy DOS standard label tapes to MVS standard label tapes.
- Convert PDP or DEC format tapes to standard MVS format.
- Convert OCTAL data tapes to EBCDIC and to print converted OCTAL data on an MVS system.
- Convert Honeywell "standard label" files to MVS fixed length files.
- Copy IEHMOVE tape and change device type characteristics so that files can be reloaded to other device types (if block sizes are acceptable)
- Provide an easy means to print selected record(s) (SL tapes or variable length data only), block(s) or file(s) with optional HEX/ASCII/OCTAL representation.
- Allow tape librarian to initialize and tapemark tapes.
- To down load the TAPEMNGL installation tape directly to disk
- To down load all or selected files from a single volume multi-file standard label tape to disk files. Disk files will be sequential or partitioned data sets.
- Provide several map reports in a single pass of the tape being mapped.
Why the Strange Name
All Contents Copyrighted © 1979, 1984, 1987, 1992, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001
by David R. Meyers and Cache Valley Software. All Rights Reserved.